Zapata is seeking a Principal Designer to create and implement the Zapata brand and our product brand, Orquestra, across all touch points. This person must be highly collaborative and help drive customer- and user-centered design across the organization. This leader will report to a design-driven CMO and collaborate closely with Marketing and Product teams. Teammates include another designer and full marketing and product teams to ensure a consistent and bold visual and interaction experience across channels and touch points.
- Design how the world experiences Zapata and our software product, Orquestra. Through design, embody our brands (Zapata and Orquestra) and our product’s value to our various audiences (academic, enterprise, etc.).
- Design our marketing and sales presence in partnership with marketing and BD teams, including redesigning websites (ZapataComputing.com, Orquestra.io), social media, video content, various storytelling formats, sales presentations and collateral. Our team currently includes a production designer to help scale design through various materials.
- Help deepen customer and user empathy across Zapata with scalable methods, habits, culture.
- Spearhead the visual identity of our product and push our Zapata and Orquestra brands to edgier, unexpected places.
- Design signature graphics, metaphors, interactions to set a unique and differentiating look and feel for Zapata and the product Orquestra.
- When appropriate, partner with Product team on key feature prototyping and design for Orquestra, collaborate with UX designer and product/engineering teams to enhance Orquestra’s user experience, making it even more desirable.
What might a typical day look like?
Although every day at Zapata is different, here’s how a Wednesday might go in this role.
- 9am – A briefing session with 2 other team members to sketch a new page for our product website with a graphic that describes how our software works.
- 10-12 – designing web page
- 12:30 – Work with a scientist to redesign her scientific illustrations for a new research paper
- 1:30 – Heads down time designing in Figma for a few hours including 1) invitation for upcoming event, 2) graphic for social media announcement and 3) continuing web page design from the morning
- 4pm – End the day with Marketing Weekly Team meeting where we begin with a few burpees, share quick updates on projects underway and ask each other for help where needed
- Strong portfolio and 2+ years’ track record design - bonus in tech
- Experience concepting through implementation
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Fluency with prototyping tools like Figma, Adobe Suite, and friends.
- Interest in new technologies and early, dynamic industries and ecosystems. Ability to be nimble and work in a fast-paced startup.
- With your application, please share 2-3 projects that demonstrate your design and technical expertise and clearly define what your contribution was in each project. Please also share applicable links to portfolio, website, etc.
- Bonus: You can find your way around in WordPress or Webflow, or build HTML
- Take ownership of how a brand comes to life, though you’ll have a team to help you get it done
- Love collaboration
- Believe that disruptive technology deserves amazing design
- Embrace ambiguity – we are a startup and things will change fast!
- Appreciate / have empathy for developers and implementation on the product side (for product design collaborations)